Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Rough Holiday Break and Bonus Mom Badge



I was at a complete loss for what to write this week. The holiday break was more difficult than I ever would have imagined. This weekend I had to put my dog to sleep after just a few short days of sudden illness. His kidneys and liver had failed and I suddenly found myself having to say goodbye to this one constant in my adult life. I’m sad, lost, and completely uninterested in returning to the normal grind.

With the way 2009 drew to a close and the way 2010 has started, I’m feeling full. During the holiday break alone, the van battery died, my stepson’s allergy to red dye returned with a vengeance, my husband’s “indestructible” tungsten wedding band broke (again), my dog fell ill, and yesterday my car battery died. No more, please.

While I’m not a regular church attendee these days, I remember from my childhood that God doesn’t throw you more than you can handle. He and I must disagree about how much I can handle. If everything happens for a reason, I hope I learn this lesson soon.

Anyhow, as I shuffled around the internet last night awaiting inspiration to strike, I found The Dawson Family blog. Yesterday’s post was written by a lovely fellow Bonus Mom. As I read it, I was surprised and humbled to see she had bestowed upon Too Many Toasters the Bonus Mom Badge. This kind gesture was just the boost I needed.

It’s funny because even though I call myself a stepmom, my stepson refers to me as his bonus mom. What a great title. Thank you Dawson Family! My blog will wear this badge with honor.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about your dog. It's so hard to lose a pet when they are like a family member. It sounds like you've had a rough week. I hope things get better for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it really pours but life always turns back around. You're more than a bonus mom, your a super wonderwoman of a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it sounds like you've had a shocker. And I'm so sorry about your dog - sometimes it feels like my own dog is the only "person" in my home who whom I'm always the most important; I can't imagine what it must be like to lose such a special friend.

    Hang in there. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete