It started in 1999 as a day to spread smiles and kind acts to one another. Certainly every day is a good day to do that, but maybe today we can pay special attention to share kindness.
The basic idea is this:
On this day we call upon people around the globe to be thoughtful of others and use the power of smile and a kind act to make a small difference in the world in which we live.
That's direct from worldsmileday.com.
What kind act will you do for someone else today? Helping with a task? Lightening a load? Listening?
How about picking up the phone to tell someone you are happy they are in your life. Channel Stevie Wonder... call to say, "I love you."
Give smiles and see how many smiles come right back to you.
Because it's World Smile Day, it also seems appropriate to let you, my fabulous wonderstruck readers, know how happy you make me. I love that you show up, comment, participate in interviews, and share links to my posts. Thank you so much!
Every kind word shared here or on my Facebook page brings a huge smile to my face. I read those words on days when I have trouble remembering why I'm doing this (because some days are like that).
I like this blog. It feels important. I sometimes feel like I'm not doing very well sharing the Live Wonderstruck message. Then one of you swoops in with a note to say you appreciate my posts. It warms my heart.
Maybe you could share that love with another blogger you like today as one of your kind acts.
While we are on the topic, I would like to take this opportunity to thank Elaine Smothers and Joules from Pocketful of Joules. These wonderful women recently bestowed upon me some beautiful blog awards.
Elaine gave me the One Lovely Blog award and Joules presented me with the Sunshine Award (as well as the One Lovely Blog award).
Thank you, Elaine and Joules! I so appreciate you thinking of me and this blog.
Now these awards come with some rules.
- I am to publicly thank the people who gave them to me. (Done!)
- I am to share some information about myself (coming in a few sentences)
- I am to nominate some of my favorite blogs (toward the end of this post)
- I am to comment on their blogs to let them know I've awarded them (I'll do this later today)
The One Lovely Blog award asks me to share 7 facts about myself while the Sunshine Award has some specific questions for me to answer. I have decided that the Sunshine Award questions will effectively cover the 7 facts about me, so here we go...
- Favorite color: I love colors! Lots of colors. I like different colors on different days. But I suppose the color that most sticks is purple (hence the Live Wonderstruck header).
- Favorite animal: Really? Hmm... I'm not sure. I like elephants because they are so stinking big and wrinkly with goofy ears and a silly nose, yet somehow they are beautiful and graceful. There's a lesson there somewhere.
- Favorite number: 6
- Favorite drink: I drink ice water all day. Boring, but water really is refreshing. On the rare occasion I get to go out I generally won't turn down a glass of wine or a coconut rum with pineapple juice.
- Facebook or Twitter: I'm on both, but I'm more active on Facebook. I feel like it's easier to follow conversations there. (Please take this opportunity to follow me if you haven't already: facebook.com/smhutchinswriter and twitter.com/smhutchins.)
- Good book or good movie: Good book. Definitely.
- Giving or getting gifts: The politically correct thing here would be to say giving, but let's be honest, both giving and getting is fun. I love giving gifts, especially when I feel like I've found something perfect for that person. Getting a gift is always nice, too, even something as simple as a smile. (See how I brought World Smile Day back around?)
- My passion: Ugh. I hate this question. I know some people can answer in a nanosecond, but I don't think I have one passion. I certainly feel strongly about living a wonderstruck life, whether I'm being attentive to my family, spending time outside, or having lunch with a friend.
- Favorite day: I'm not sure whether this means "...of the week," "...of the year," or "...EVER!" I'm much more fond of Mondays now that I've left corporate America.
- Favorite flower: Peach roses and pink Gerber daisies.
Now to spread some blog award love. I present each of the following bloggers with both the One Lovely Blog award and the Sunshine Award for inspiring me with wonderstruck moments. In no particular order...
- Jenn Gibson at Roots of She
- Diana Lesire Brandmeyer
- Brandi Reynolds
- Warm Sunshine Blog
- Sara Walpert Foster
- Kristin Noelle of Trust Tending
- Tami Clayton
- Cora Ramos
- Kate Conner
- Mike Schulenberg
I wish you all a wonderstruck day as you share abundant smiles and small acts of kindness!